(This page last updated 8/19/2017.)
A. LATEST VIDEOS:
- Compilation Video #818 (used in the clinic at the 2017 NASG convention: Youtube (15 min)
- Video #817 – shows the Convention layout in operation at an earlier July 2017 show: Youtube (19 min)
Note: The rest of the videos (approximately 50) can be found on the ‘Videos‘ page.
B. ABOUT THE AUTOCONTROLS.ORG WEBSITES:
- These websites contain videos, plans, and other information for automatically controlling multiple trains on the same track.–information created over the past 29 years starting in 1988.
- Demonstrations are done mostly in Largescale and S gauge, with some HO gauge and 1 video including N gauge.
- Some demonstrations are done in DC, and some are done using NMRA DCC.
The AutoControls.org library of information is actually spread across 3 websites:
- “Home1” this WordPress.org “entry page”
- “Home2” the original track2.com website where the video list and plans are located, and
- (3) “Home3” the WordPress.com “satellite” website containing recent additions.
D. PAGES OF POSSIBLE INTEREST
- The VIDEOS page (on Track2.com) contains approximately 50 videos demonstrating different techniques.
- The PLANS page (also on Track2.com) has links to drawings for several of the control units. (Some plans are linked from the Videos page.)
- The “satellite website3” (on WordPress.com) has a few more recent additions, including:
- The page titled Links for Video #816, “Getting Started with NCE DCC Mini-Panel Automatic Train Control” is an attempt to show all the basics.
- The page titled Using Proprietary Lionel & MTH decoders With NMRA DCC was just added.
E. ABOUT AUTOMATIC CONTROLS:
- This control task consists of 2 parts: 1) the Logic and 2) the Hardware; and both are discussed.
- This includes control of AC trains, DC trains, and DCC trains — the latter using the NMRA-compatible NCE “Mini-Panel” automatic DCC train controller, and also “DCC-Bitswitch”. This includes both single-track layouts (no turnouts), and use of “automatic passing sidings” where a pair of turnouts are used.
- Discussion of sensors includes magnets & reed switches, and electric eyes. The Anderman method of using automotive relays to operate the current-hungry original American Flyer turnouts is demonstrated.
- Automated push-pull shuttle operation (point-to-point) is also demonstrated, both for DC and DCC.
- In my humble opinion, the simplest method for controlling 2 DCC trains on 1 mainline (no turnouts), is to use the NCE DCC “Mini-Panel”. This can be done with just 1 reed switch and no blocks — as demonstrated in Video #815 , “Getting Started with NCE Mini-Panel Automatic Train Control”.
G. ABOUT THE BELOW IMAGES
- Below are two ‘screen captures’ from the videos (can be accessed from the VIDEOS page).